1. Augsburg Security Conference
1. Augsburg Security Conference
29. June – 01. Juli 2018 at Provino Club
** Call for Participation **
more languages to follow…
We all like to precede our live in safety and security. We like to walk through narrow streets without fear, day and night, even if we were drunk, and even, if we are not a white and heterosexual man. We’d like to live our daily live without harassment and insults, even if our skin were black or we were sitting in a wheelchair. We like to be insured and to have proper health services – Really! -, because we like to be healthy and it makes us feel at ease with good doctors around. We like to have fair wages, because it helps us to make plans for our future.
But we are not looking that confident towards a bright future. The world is not getting safer. That’s why it is time to question and to criticize common strategies and methods to produce and proceed security.
Police and Military, Border control and face recognition software are manifestations of state security promises themselves. On the same time they facilitate specific forms of violence and exclusion.
Security cameras and regulatory officials, restrictions on when and how to use public space are an encroachment to the autonomy of every individual human being in a certain city.
We’d like to find new solidarity answers to old and new security questions: Is my own feeling of security a thread to others? Do the border controls at Europe’s outer borders serve the security of all? Is it right, that the presence of more policemen and policewomen help to make every situation safer? Are we all equally safe? How can we work together to build safety for all?
These are our cities, this is our freedom of action and freedom of movement, which are regulated and controlled. We got told where to sit and chat. We got told, which strange bike lanes we have to use and maybe soon, which temperatures are cold enough to wrap a scarve around our faces.
Urban Gardening; solidarity groups; support of refugee children; “Volksküchen”; free theater groups, autonomous spaces, anti-racist and anti-sexist groups, sub-cultural spaces, projects to build common space to live, groups for environmental protection and projects of solidarity economy – these groups help to work out security in a city.
Participate at Augsburg Security Conference
Stay wild and controversial! We would like to have lectures, discussion, performances, movies, parties, concerts, cooking classes…But please don’t forget that we even need help to clean, to cook, to serve beverages or to care for others at a safe space.
One ouf aims is to create a strong solidarity community to practice boundless solidarity.
A solidarity city lives from participation to all necessary work. We’d like to live in our Utopia for two days. Different? Sure!
And please be aware. We are organize this conference in our spare time. We work in grassroots groups. We provide rooms and our time. That’s why we hope that you know how to finance your contribution to the conference.
Either way the conference looks like: Participate on a free, secure and solidarity city of the future! For the right on our cities.
After all and under the umbrella of freedom of violence: To realize that kind of two-days-utopia, we ask and reflect on ourselves the following questions. And it doesn’t matter if we contribute in or with a project or if we participate otherwise:
- How we´d like to deal with each other?
- How we´d like to talk to each other (in multilingual conversations)?
- How can we all together contribute to a safe daily life for each other?
- How can we contribute to have a safe festival for each other? How can we make the festival a safe space, where everyone feels invited and good?
- Which contributions, apart from lectures and discussions, are necessary to reach that?
Possible topics to deal with
- What are we talking about, when we talk about security? Do we all understand it always in the same way? Are there competing ideas of security? Do we have to think security as multi-dimensional or even intersectional? How does security relate to the value of liberty?
- What makes us feel safe? Is it always and only the state with it´s authority? Does state power contribute to a certain form of violence as a medium of social integration or exclusion? Are there other forms of conflict resolution?
- Is a public space, like the “Königsplatz” in Augsburg safer, if there were no more users of alcohol and drugs? For whom and why?
- Do we need to talk differently about security while facing the climate catastrophe? What change will the climate catastrophe will bring for the security of nutrition? What change will it bring, when the sea level is constantly rising?
- Is the contact with policewomen and -men a contribution to the safety of refugees? How helpful are hermetically saved borders for the security of people outside of these?
- Is security personnel at a clubs door always helpful? Do they promote to a racist door policy? What alternates are possible?
- How safe are tenants, whose flats are threatened by gentrification and rising rents?
- How does the massive urban reconstruction of Augsburg and other cities contribute to urban security? Does the digitalization of cities, discussed as smart cities, contribute to a safer society?
- What kind of discourse and actors/actress contribute to the production of security? What power structures maintain common ideas of security, security risks or threads to security?
- What means security in a digital society? Does it make us safer, if secret services and police can read our digital communication?